query_module and insmod failures

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jan 12 03:44:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 17:05, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 145, yan seiner wrote:
> > I've been having problems loading modules.  I get variations of
> > QM_MODULES funtion not available or "support for old kernels is not
> > available" type of messages when trying to load modules.
> >
> > OK, I think I have a resolution to this....
> >
> > First of all, I am cross-compiling for an arm chip.  I built my own
> > toolchain based on gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.3.5.  This appears to be the
> > problem; something between glibc 2.3.5, busybox, and 2.4 kernels will
> > not play nice.
> >
> > Compiling with gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.3.2 seems to have made the problem
> > go away....
>
> Sorry I've no time to investigate on this for now, but...
>
> I also work with an ARM platform, and busybox modutils do work there. I'm
> using a toolchain build off gcc-3.4.4 + uClibc-0.9.28 + linux-2.4.29-uc1
> headers and all is fine. I also use a glibc-2.3.[45] toolchain and all is
> fine there as well.
>
> So a few questions:
>  - Have you build the toolchain yourself?
>  - Is it uClibc- or glibc-based?
>    uClibc won't compile with linux-libc-header from Mr Mazur (I couldn't
> make it build with reasonable efforts, prove me wrong! :-) ). So you moust
> use 'raw' kernel headers. For me, that was linux-2.4.29-uc1 headers.

I'm building uclibc-0.9.28 with Mazur's 2.6.12 headers.  uClibc's
fix_includes.sh is both unnecessary and broken, so I do this:

# fix_includes gets deeply confused by pre-prepared kernel headers, so
# do its job manually.
echo > extra/scripts/fix_includes.sh &&
mv ../asm ../linux ../sound include &&
make &&

(And of course "make clean" doesn't work after that because those are
directories rather than symlinks.  I should make it all work nicely
someday...)