query_module and insmod failures

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Wed Jan 11 23:05:40 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 145, yan seiner wrote:
> I've been having problems loading modules.  I get variations of
> QM_MODULES funtion not available or "support for old kernels is not
> available" type of messages when trying to load modules.
>
> OK, I think I have a resolution to this....
>
> First of all, I am cross-compiling for an arm chip.  I built my own
> toolchain based on gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.3.5.  This appears to be the
> problem; something between glibc 2.3.5, busybox, and 2.4 kernels will
> not play nice.
>
> Compiling with gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.3.2 seems to have made the problem
> go away....

Sorry I've no time to investigate on this for now, but...

I also work with an ARM platform, and busybox modutils do work there. I'm
using a toolchain build off gcc-3.4.4 + uClibc-0.9.28 + linux-2.4.29-uc1
headers and all is fine. I also use a glibc-2.3.[45] toolchain and all is
fine there as well.

So a few questions:
 - Have you build the toolchain yourself?
 - Is it uClibc- or glibc-based?
   uClibc won't compile with linux-libc-header from Mr Mazur (I couldn't make it
   build with reasonable efforts, prove me wrong! :-) ). So you moust use 'raw'
   kernel headers. For me, that was linux-2.4.29-uc1 headers.
 - for uCLibc toolchain, did you use buildroot?
 - Are you sure the kernel headers you are using are configured?
 - Are the libc+kernel headers all available when (cross-)compiling?
 - Are they in sync?
 - Aren't you using the native headers when you should use the target headers?

Might not be the solution, though, and you might have encountered a real corner
case there if all is OK in the above. In that case, could you try with a
pre-built toolchain? Or build your own with Dan Kegel's crosstool:
www.kegel.com/crosstool (there's a contribution by me to make uClibc-based
toolchain there.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home 3808 | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |