exporting functions in ash

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jan 10 01:47:33 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 11:37, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> > So maybe you should try to think outside the box?
> > Is exporting functions really necessary in your script?
>
>   A bash 3.0.16 compiled stay between 616Kb and 667Kb.
>   I need using functions in my scripts, but I could be avoided using
> instead functions shell scripts but everything get slower.
>   In my case I prefer to cope with bash and 700Kb more than to many
> shell scripts.
>
>   Do you think it could be interesting for bb have a ash+ with export
> functions capability?

In 1.2 I'm doing a single scalable busybox shell to replace lash, hush, msh,
and ash.  If I can ever get 1.1 shipped!  (Wrestling with it now...)

In the long run, I believe busybox having "ports of" non-busybox applications
is fundamentally a bad idea.  Either the non-busybox version is good enough
to use standalone or we should just have our own version that is optimized
for size from the ground up, makes full use of libbb, and so on.  I'd like to
replace all outside "ports" with real busybox applets, but it's a bit down
the todo list...