modprobe/insmod woes...

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sun Jan 8 22:12:47 UTC 2006

Hello all!
Rob,

On Sunday 08 January 2006 213, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2006 04:15, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > The answer is trivial: are we sure it will be insmod from busybox? No, of
> > course not, it might be from modutils or modules-init-tools.
> In which case why the heck are they using busybox for the other half of the
> transaction?
> General rule of thumb of mine is if you're going to use a tightly integrated
> package like module-init-tools, you should use it for everything it supports.
> Busybox probably shouldn't be concerned _that_ much about cherry-picking,
> because we can't do anything about version skew anyway.

Yes, you're right. But asn exemple, busybox has no depmod, and I need it in
a project, so I use that from modutils/module-init-tools. It might be true
for other projects also, and some might want BB tightness (?) and use our
modprobe, but want the full blown insmod (for some reasons).

> So anyway, as long as our modprobe understands "-q -- modname" we're good, and
> as long as our insmod understands what our modprobe calls it with, we're
> good.

Right. That's the way.

> Implementing logging via syslog in the future sounds cool.  Should that be a
> config option?  (If so, passing the -s should be controlled by the same
> config option.)

Config option, for feature _and_ option validation.

> Now possibly a good reason to ignore -s is that existing _scripts_ might have
> that in there.  But then again if busybox is ignoring it instead of doing the
> logging the script asks for, I lean towards erroring out loudly so they can
> find and fix their script as better than silently not doing what they asked
> us to.  (They shouldn't ask for logging if they don't want logging.)

Better, error out _and_ ignore the switch, doing the stuff. When they see all
these messages in their logs, then the will fix their scripts. At least, that's
what I'd do. Silently ignoring what we're asked to do is not good.

Maybe we should create a "DIFF" file taht would list difference in behavior
between our implementation and mainline (uClibc does have such a file, can't
remember the name, and going to bed).

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home 3808 | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |