Autoloading of module fail on linux-2.6.x

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jan 6 19:22:27 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 02:26, Roy Huang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I find autoloading module failed on linux-2.6.x if support 2.4.x
> module is not selected.

You don't say what version of busybox you were using.

> Kernel invoke modprobe with "-q" option, then modprobe call insmod
> with "-q" option too. If "Support version 2.2.x to 2.4.x Linux kernel"
> is not selected, insmod_ng_main is called directly. But insmod_ng_main
> don't accept "-q" option, which will cause autoloading module fail.
>
> When I search the maillist, someone named Jean2 seems already provide
> a patch to fix this bug at 2005-02-06, the patch's ID is 0000278.

That's not a patch ID, that's a bug list ID, but looking at that...

This patch initially didn't get applied because it introduced at least one
bug:

+#else
+ /* "-s" flag not supported. Jean II */
  snprintf ( lcmd, sizeof( lcmd ) - 1, "insmod %s %s %s %s %s",
-   do_syslog ? "-s" : "", autoclean ? "-k" : "",
+   autoclean ? "-k" : "",
    quiet ? "-q" : "", list-> m_path, list-> m_options ?
    list-> m_options : "" );

Removing an argument from the argument list, but not removing a %s entry from
the sprintf string, is seldom a good idea.

Of course now, the code is way the heck different and the patch doesn't come
close to applying.  (I also don't have a good test environment set up for
this.)  Looking through it, this doesn't seem to still be a relevant problem
in current svn.

Yann?  Could you confirm that http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=278 is fixed
in current svn so I can close this bug out?

> But
> the patch seems not integrated. If the patch is not integrated, then
> is there any other ways to resovle the problem? Thanks.

Try a current snapshot (in the snapshots directory from the download link)
rather than 1.0?