Busybox 1.1.0 release on Monday, Jan 9.

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Mon Jan 2 22:27:09 UTC 2006

Hello all!
Rob,

On Monday 02 January 2006 221, Rob Landley wrote:
> Ok, my plans have firmed up a bit.

1.1.0 by Monday will be wonderful!

> This means fixing mount and merging the DNS server is still possible, but
> please hold off anything else that isn't a clear bug fix until after Monday.

Now that e2fsprogs have sneaked into BusyBox, we have two filesystem utils
available: e2fs and minix. Would it be wanted that they all appear in the same
sub-menu in the config MMI? That is something like (in single menu mode):
       ++> Editors                                                                                                     │ │
       --> File system utils                                                                                           │ │
       -->   Linux Ext2 FS Progs                                                                                       │ │
       [ ]     chattr (NEW)                                                                                            │ │
       [ ]     e2fsck (NEW)                                                                                            │ │
       [ ]     fsck (NEW)                                                                                              │ │
       [ ]     lsattr (NEW)                                                                                            │ │
       [ ]     mke2fs (NEW)                                                                                            │ │
       [*]     tune2fs                                                                                                 │ │
       [ ]       e2label (NEW)                                                                                         │ │
       [ ]       findfs (NEW)                                                                                          │ │
       -->   Minix FS Progs                                                                                            │ │
       [ ]     fsck_minix                                                                                              │ │
       [*]     mkfs_minix                                                                                              │ │
       ---       Common minix options                                                                                  │ │
       [*]       Support Minix fs v2 (fsck_minix/mkfs_minix) (NEW)                                                     │ │
       ++> Finding Utilities

Plus move all filesystem utils to a common sub-directory (namely
busybox/fsutils/e2fsprogs and busybox/fsutils/minixfs (and maybe some other
busybox/fsutils/foobarfs...)).

On the other hand, mkfs.minix and fsck.minix are available from stock
util-linux, so we might want to keep them in the util-linux sub-menu.

I've already got it ready here (I wanted to play with build procedure). Once
1.1.0 is out, I can submit a patch (huge because of moves, but small with
additions only to Makefile-s, Makefile.in-s and Config.in-s) if that is a
good idea. If not, I'll forget about it.

Plus this ledman stuff I'm working on. This is a pain, because 2.4 has some
(useable) support for LEDs from user space, but 2.6 lacks such support. A new
LED API implementation is being discussed on linux-arm-kernel (and possibly
lkml too it seems) recently, but it is not yet merged. I'm trying to figure how
to handle this: support for 2.4 or not? What to do with kernels lacking this
feature? Show it in config even if it can not run? What if it can't even build?
What about addressing directly HW (no, that's bad)? How to translate kernel-
-side declarations (#defines) into human readable/writable form? Bah... I will
wait for the 2.6 LED API to be mainstream first, then I'll see.

Plus this qemu I'm trying: it does not build with gcc-4.x (something to do with
ret not being the last instruction of a function body), and I'm too lazy/busy
to install a gcc-3.4 toolchain. Work the WE.

> (After the release I'm likely to be incommunicado for a few
> days, packing for the move to Pittsburgh...)

Take your time for  you, for once, you've been busy enough on BB these past
weeks!

Regards, and again thanks for your work!
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home 3808 | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |