I have this small DNS

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 2 20:28:56 UTC 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 05:59, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> Odd Arild Olsen ha scritto:
>
> [cut]
>
> > If we want to follow this, the formats now used in scdns for the sscanf
> > functions should be changed from %u to %i, or we can revert back to
> > handle the IPs as strings.
>
>   Please check if exist a RFC while I am merging dns in SVN bb

DNS is in RFC 1034 and 1035.  There's more on AA records for ipv6 somewhere
but I never personally cared that much.

I wrote out some fairly extensive documentation once, based on reading those
things (and a bit of the O'Reilley DNS book) and lots of pondering on how
zone delegations and such actually work.  This is when I was thinking of
writing a DNS server in python.  But it was about five years ago (2001, I
think) I can't seem to find that file right now.

(Fun trivia fact: there are 13 root servers because that's the maximum number
of entries you can fit in a 512 byte UDP packet, which is the largest size
rfc 1035 says you should send so it wouldn't get broken up by the internet of
yesteryear.  At one point, I knew all this stuff...)

Oh, and if you want to set up your own root server (which isn't hard), you
used to be able to grab the root zone file from
"ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain" (theoretically updated nightly at
midnight, in reality once a week would be plenty), although that ancient and
crufty ftp server doesn't support "passive mode" so you can't always use it
from behind a masqueraded connection.

I have no idea if this is still useful information. :)