[gmail] Re: busybox Reboot

Ole-Egil Hvitmyren oehvitmyren at network-electronics.com
Tue Feb 28 10:25:58 UTC 2006

Marc Leeman wrote:
> So, I never really understand why some ppl stick with ancient version of
> the projects (I've seen it recently on FOSDEM, where some guys were
> sticking with a 2.2.x kernel!); expecially since upgrading a component
> (if decently maintained internally) takes only minutes to replace with a
> more recent one.

Ok, then you help me get 2.4 or 2.6 run reliably on the board I have
which is using an AMD Elan SC410. I tried. I tried. And then I tried
some more. I keep loosing data on the serial ports if I go to anything
newer than the 2.2 kernel I've been using for all these years.

Now, since the hardware hasn't changed since 1997, why should I upgrade
a working kernel to something I KNOW needs more work to run reliably?

Ridiculing me for sticking with a 2.2 kernel sure is nice of you ;-)

Now, I'm not saying everyone should drop everything and help every time
someone has a problem with the 0.60.5 release. But a little curtesy goes
 a long way :-)

Ole-Egil