busybox Reboot

Ole-Egil Hvitmyren oehvitmyren at network-electronics.com
Mon Feb 27 16:17:21 UTC 2006

Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 03:58:02PM -0000, Syed Ahmed wrote:
>
>>hi all i been using busybox 0.60.5 on i386 with lilo boot loader every now and then it will reboot for no reason any ideas how i can catch it or diagnose it?
>

> busybox-0.60.5 is old and no longer supported. Try the current stable
> release (1.1.0) or preferably the current -snapshot. Both are available
> here: http://busybox.net/downloads/

There is one problem with that.

A WHOLE lot of stuff is COMPLETELY rewritten (functionality wise, not
just bug fixes) between 0.60.5 and 1.1.0. Things like syslog, su etc
works completely different between the two revisions, which means it's
not a simple recompile for many of us.

Some times it just doesn't pay off to do the upgrade, because it's just
too much work. And in certain cases, you don't have free hands to just
upgrade either.

Please, please, please remember this when people who use an older
release have a problem. They might not have the luxury of changing their
entire system just for a quick fix. If I cannot get any support without
upgrading, then I might have to say no to using your product, because
people above me in my organisation might have policies about things like
that. Me not using busybox might be excactly what you're looking for,
but then again... :-)

Ole-Egil