modprobe

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Feb 23 15:31:03 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 5:11 am, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Rob, Tomasz,
> All,
>
> Quoting Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>:
> > On Wednesday 22 February 2006 6:11 am, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > > Because one may decide to use mainstream insmod rather than the one
> > > from busybox.
> >
> > What does Rusty's insmod do that ours doesn't yet?
>
> Don't know. I was just stating that one might prefer (for some obscur
> reasons) mainstream insmod to BB insmod.

I look at it this way:

The easiest way for tar to pipe stuff through gzip and bunzip is to vfork()
and exec() the appropriate command as a background task.  I don't really
object to it doing this, therefore I don't see a downside to doing the same
for insmod.

When "standalone shell" mode is enabled, whatever bb_spawn_child() function we
finally implement should handle calling built-in commands without exec when
possible.  But that's a side issue to be dealt with later.