Why can't I do this: uuencode -m /mnt/kd/xyz/myfile.csv > stuff ?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Feb 23 01:03:26 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 4:44 pm, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> I don't know for other distro, but at least ubuntu IS shipping it !
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&w
>ord=sharutils&version=breezy&arch=i386

No, that means they're throwing it in the network repository, not on the CD.
Their online repository has three different versions of the GNU ADA compiler,
a glibc 2.0 support package for the berkeley database, and two different
versions of "hello world" that each take 500k to install.  (Really.  Package
names "hello" and "hello-debhelper".)

Having stuff in the network repository just means somebody somewhere got it to
compile.  (I suppose the Gnome guys care about ".NET binding for the D-BUS
interprocess message system", but that's because Miguel is crazy...)

> That don't mean that I care about it. In fact I don't use it either.

I care about a lot of things I don't use.  Not using is not the same as not
caring.  But the spec for this is broken.