svn commit: trunk/busybox/libbb

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 21 14:00:53 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:38, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:
> mainstream login utils have not this paranoya check:

so ?  login utils isnt god, it isnt perfect ... just because they didnt think
of it doesnt mean it's wrong

> RFC require 256 max and kernel can`t set biggest.

so you think we should be looking at every kernel release and making sure this
undocumented code behavior never changes ?  instead of simply guaranteeing
that it always works ?  the other motivation is that busybox isnt always
running under a linux kernel, so your assumption that it'll never fill the
256 byte buffer would be useless

> result is: make biggest code vs mainstream
> code! Its bad idea for busybox ;-)

actually, my change didnt increase the code size at all ... there already was
a line that read like mine (buf[sizeof(buf)-1] = '\0';) so gcc was able to
optimize it appropriately
-mike