https (SSL connections to http)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Feb 20 19:34:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 February 2006 9:20 pm, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Sun February 19 2006 16:01, Rob Landley wrote:
> > (In theory it's possible to have one binary be both an executable and a
> > shared library.  In practice, I don't know how to set that up... :)
>
> No detailson how, but here is where to look:
> (find your version, on your machine of glibc)
>
> As root, execute it:
>
> ~# /lib/tls/libc.so.6
>
> GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.
> - - - etc - - - etc - - -
>
> Mike

Yeah, that's partly what I had in mind when I originally brought up "busybox
as a shared library".  The uClibc guys managed to reproduce this too.  The
linker magic isn't all that strange.

Actual implementation might be a bit tricky.  If we fake libz and libbzip2,
and symlink to both of them, and somebody building against us includes both
of those libraries, some versions of binutils behave really stupidly...

In theory, most of the other symbols we export should have bb_ namespace
guards at the start of them...