Renaming UNUSE() to SKIP()

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Fri Feb 17 00:15:52 UTC 2006

 > I'm going to rename UNUSE_SYMBOL() to SKIP_SYMBOL() unless somebody objects.
 > Everybody ok with that?
 >
 > For those of you just tuning in, USE_SYMBOL(blah) replaces
 > #ifdef CONFIG_SYMBOL
 > blah
 > #endif
 > and UNUSE_SYMBOL() is the corresponding one for #ifndef.

i really think the meaning of those macros would be a lot more
transparent if they were called soemthing like:
    INCLUDE_IF_SYMBOL(blah)  (or maybe "ONLY_IF_SYMBOL(blah)" )
and
    OMIT_IF_SYMBOL(blah)

the issue for me is that usually in a macro with args it's the
arg that triggers a condition.  in this case it's something in
the _name_ of the macro that makes it conditional.  adding the
"IF" in there emphasizes that aspect.  somehow the simple
"USE_SYMBOL()" and "SKIP_SYMBOL()" really obfuscate the flow for
me.

however, if no one else knows what i'm talking about, i'll learn
to deal.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com