file ownerships created by tar

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Dec 28 01:13:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 12:34:09AM +0000, Chris Steel wrote:
> If I untar an archive (specifically
> applewmproto-X11R7.0-1.0.3.tar.bz2 from www.x.org)
> using busybox, then the files seem to keep their
> original owner and group (500 and 501 respectively).
>
> When I untar the same archive on my Fedora system, all
> the files created are owned by the user who did the
> untar.
>
> I'm assuming (?) that the second option is correct,
> and the first is wrong?

No. The second option happens when the user extracting the package
doesn't have permissions to set ownership of files to other users.

I assume you're untarring in busybox as root and as a non-root user in
Fedora. Try untarring as root in Fedora and you should see the same
behaviour as busybox.

--
lfr
0/0