how to enable "login"? login can not work with inittab

kaimi dishui at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 09:45:32 UTC 2006

hi, folks:
if using:  ::askfirst:-/bin/sh, everything is ok, in the shell prompt, I can
login correctly, and "job control" is ok, the /dev/tts/0 is in use. while,
if add a new line for login:  ::respawn:/bin/login, there would be a warning
"-sh: can't access tty; job control turned off", and the login prompt
appears, when I input username "root", it shows: "-sh: root: not found",
after a few secs, the prompt word "Password" appears, my input password is
incorrect.

I have tried to "getty", I added:  ::respawn:/sbin/getty 115200
/dev/console, it's the same but no warning "-sh: can't access tty; job
control turned off".

any ideas? Thanks for any help,
                                                                       kaimi