RFC: busybox 1.2.3?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Dec 14 22:11:04 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 December 2006 3:25 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> There is one long-standing bug that would be really nice if it was
> finally fixed for good:
>
> - Specifying a path to df doesn't work. There's also a bugreport about
>   this (or two):

Last I checked, the df in toybox handled this just fine. :P

> Some notes concerning the release branch:
> 1) please don't forget to do a
> svn cp ../trunk/busybox .../branches/busybox-1_3-stable
> This should be done for any release.

I never did this.  Bernhard's been agitating for this forever.  Keeping two
forks in sync is an insane pain, I just backported svn commits from the
development version.  (If it wasn't fixed in -devel, it obviously wasn't that
important.)

Personally, I think if he wants his branch, he should maintain it, but it's up
to you what you do.

> 3) Please do not forget to remove the -Werror from Makefile.flags for
> the stable series. It may be nice to have for development, but breaking
> to build for users because of it sounds like it will trigger
> complaints..

I don't care about complaints, but gcc 4.1.x is broken.  It produces warnings
about "possible use before initialization" of things that provably _aren't_.

(However, -Werror was the only way to keep certain developers from introducing
new warnings into the tree on a regular basis and never fixing them.)

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery