Getting started with mdev

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Thu Dec 14 21:58:25 UTC 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Goetz Bock wrote:

> IIRC there were a few files you should add to your static /dev:
> console,
> null,

Hmm... /dev/console is the only one I needed to boot and run BusyBox.

> <but i can't remember the rest>

How would I find out what the rest are? Given that /dev is such an
important and fundamental part of Linux, it seems like this would be
written down somewhere.

> than you need to add /sys to your filsystem, and mount the sysfs there
>
>     mount -t sysfs none /sys
>
> once that is done you can run mdev in scan mode to populate /dev
>
>     mdev -s
>
> that should be it.

That worked; thanks! I noticed that mdev created a lot of "standard"
entries in /dev, including null. I assume that means I don't have to
worry about manually creating them?

Also, what's the standard practice of having the above commands run
on every boot? Do I simply dump them into /etc/rc.sh?

Trevor