[RFC] Updating busybox config/build system to match current kernel system

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Thu Aug 31 20:54:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 04:06:32PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:

> One thing that I thought of when you first mentioned this is "hang on, the
> kernel code is GPLv2 only!"  But we've been using their menuconfig all along.
> I _think_ we can use their GPLv2 build infrastructure to build a GPLv2 or
> later binary, but this certainly guarantees that we're never dropping GPLv2
> from our list of licenses, doesn't it?  (Not that we want to, but if we did
> we couldn't.)

How much effort is need to be able to claim copyright and to
decide for a wider license when in-kernel?

I have touched a good precentage of the relevant code lines (except
for fixdep.c) so one could argue that it I could claim some
copyright. But there is obvious other contributors also so I really
do not know what I can do in that respect.

In my personal opinion I have no problems changing from GPLv2 to something
a bit broader if that can help other users.

	Sam - kbuild maintainer