[RFC] Updating busybox config/build system to match current kernel system

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:18:41 UTC 2006

[resend to list]

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 20:40, Rob Landley wrote:
> > ~300K compressed patch is sort of too big for mailing list.
>
> Ouch.
>
> Can you put it at a URL?

Yes. Done. http://busybox.net/~vda/

I tried to replace our current makefiles and config system.

I am intimidated by deep Makefile wizardry,
and therefore I cowardly took kernel's one instead of fixing the one
which we have now.

I think that it is not likely for kernel system to stop changing,
so I resisted the desire to remove parts of it which are not needed
for busybox. I would rather keep it as little changed as possible
(relative to kernel's Makefile system, that is).

The attached patchset is the one which I consider more-or-less
usable. At least it seems to build allyesconfig and allnoconfig.

1.patch - remove Makefile[.in], add Kbuild, tweak Config.in
          in every directory
2.patch - small fixes
3.patch - small fixes
4.patch - delete old build system & scripts, add new one
5.patch - small fix
6.patch - (try to) add back make targets like "sizes" etc.
7.patch - fix dependency on BB_BT. make was rebuilding everything
          each time.
--
vda