Problem building BB 1.2 daemons for uClinux ARM

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 08:42:55 UTC 2006

> > OK, I'll try and see if this works. But I've found other old messages
> > where people submitted patches to get telnetd going on NOMMU uClinux but
> > they don't seem to have been merged.
>
> How old are we talking?  About 4 months ago I got a big mega-patch that
> applied to 1.0.0-pre something, which was virtually unusable.  Keep meaning
> to go through and cherry pick stuff, but at the time I didn't have a test
> environment for nommu and it's composted a bit in my to-do heap at this
> point.

Probably older than this - it was in some old messages that Google threw up when
I was hunting for clues on how to fix it.

> > I'm not sure I know enough about the status/direction of BusyBox support
> > for MMU-less uClinux systems to know how best to proceed.
>
> I'm interested and want to see it work.  Unfortunately, I have some
> higher-priority structural issues to deal with first, and some largeish
> cleanups I'm trying to get in for the 1.3.0 release.

Fair enough. Building anything for uClinux seems to be a bit of a struggle!
It's just a shame that BusyBox gets so *very* close to 100% but needs hammering
to get the rest of the way.

> One global cleanup that I'm working on is merging each applet's static
> variables into a struct, and making a union of all those structs.  This has
> two big advantages: 1) much easier to make our applets re-entrant for nofork
> bbsh and such, 2) friendlier to nommu, and a few smaller ones.

Any approach that makes it *very* hard for an applet writer to produce something
that fails on uClinux, rather than the current situation where they have to
carefully and deliberately take uClinux into account, would seem to make a lot
of sense.

Anyway, suggestions on how to fix lash so my control-c works again would be
greatly appreciated. hush is now working for me for scripts but is broken for
interactive, but my telnetd bodge might be at fault.

Ian