lua [ was: Bash shell support? ]

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:40:43 UTC 2006

2006/8/28, Bernhard Fischer <rep.nop at aon.at>:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 11:28:01PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 09:52:36PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> >A new scripting language or something based on Lua might be desirable.
> >While Lua is very small to implement I suspect the memory usage is
> >larger than it should be and I know the performance will be bad on
> >many embedded systems since all arithmetic is floating point. Still, I
> >like Lua.. :)
>
> Chiming in a bit late, it seems..
>
> Why on earth do we want any scripting _in_ busybox?

 We would appreciate very much a scripting language which interpreter
could be compiled against busybox library in order to reduce the
overall size.

 I think soon or later you will decide to have a directories for
contribution or a separate project as rootbox which using bbox library
allow people to have a lot of funny thinks to enjoy embedded.

 Lua in other hand should help to simplify bbox converting some
applets which not require the powerfull of C (almost all which should
not need syscall) in scripts which, I suppose, will have some
advantages: smaller size, could be modified/fixed without compiling
anything, portability.

 Cheers,
--
/roberto