lua [ was: Bash shell support? ]

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Aug 28 19:31:47 UTC 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 6:28 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> Why on earth do we want any scripting _in_ busybox?

You mean like lash, msh, hush, ash, and bbsh?

> AFAIR, we don't want (resp. didn't want until recently) these in busybox
> -) filesystem utilities (bad example as there currently is a big bloated
>    batch in there -- e2fsprogs -- that noone cares to shrink nor really
>    maintain)

Actually I'm about 1/2 way through a from-scratch mke2fs rewrite.
Unfortunately, work had a large project move a deadline up a week and a half
ago, and it became a big rush project thingy.  I'm a couple days away from
having a prototype to hand to them, at which point I'm going to ask for the
tuesday/thursday telecommunting thing back so I have a clear dividing line
that says "this is BusyBox time".

I meant to catch up this weekend by my Fiancee draged me out to be social
instead.  (I was previously unaware that you could combine DDR and Karaoke,
nor did I know that my most effective Super Smash Bros character
was "Princess Peach".  I positively _sucked_ with Pikachu...)

> -) compilers (i'd immediately put in tcc, because it is relatively small
>    -- <100k -- and relatively useful, as in somewhat useable C89 support)

I'd like BusyBox to build with tcc.  (I subscribed to the tcc mailing list but
have yet to get a message on it.)  If I had more time I'd try to get that to
be a better gcc replacement (for starters, building the kernel...)

Seems a bit stalled now that Fabrice has his hands full with qemu...

> One project that may be of real use is to export a zlib compatible
> interface, as mentioned before, but i didn't yet see any proposal for
> this one.

If someone would like to do this, I'm all for it.  (It's probably best if
libbb.so did this.  When I cycle back around to working on scripts/individual
again, I need to not just fix the rest of the apps to build right but add
libbb.so support.)

Oh, a recent discussion on linux-kernel suggested that the "build at once"
mode should be a separate target (which seems obvious in retrospect), and I
think possibly libbb.so should also be a separate target.

Possibly we should have a number of targets:

busybox (default)
busybox-static
busybox-shared (with libbb.so automatically built).

Maybe these are .dummy targets, or maybe actual executable names.

I'm holding off on poking at the build system until Denis finishes up his port
of the current linux-kernel/klibc stuff to BusyBox.