I have US Robotics Broadband router model 9107, its based on BCM96345 chip, with BusyBox v1.00 (2005.08.16-13:01+0000).

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 28 15:58:57 UTC 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 14:47, Lucky Luk wrote:
>  I have US Robotics Broadband router model 9107, its based on BCM96345 chip,
> with BusyBox v1.00 (2005.08.16-13:01+0000).
> I have a problem, when Authentication server from my ISP is down,
> busybox will receive message pppd[220]:  "wrong user name or password", and
> it will try only for a couple of times, to reauthorize to the server (3 or 4
> times), and if Busybox receives all of 3 or 4 messages in the first 1-2
> minutes, (messages "wrong user name or password"), router will remain in
> sitting mode (there will be no reauthorization attempts), till the moment
> when I manually reset the modem (if my ISP A.SERVER is brought back online
> of course).
> How could I instruct to the Busybox, with the some CLI Commands, that in the
> case the router receives wrong user name or password message, that he tries
> to reauthorize till he connect to the Authentication server successfully.
> It seems that someone decided, that 1 or 2 minutes with only 3 or 4 retries
> is enough for Authorization and Re-Authentication.
> It seems that they didn't had in mind situation when a server is out,  like
> they meant that you must be using wrong username or password, and than if
> you use wrong user name or password, why would you bother your ISP server
> with needles reauthorizations. I dont know why did they do it.
> I would like that my router constantly tries to re-authorize to the ISP
> server.
> Do you have some script which will read the busybox log and when it triggers
> wrong user name or password message, it will instruct new ppp session, or
> some other type of script for windows which could help in my situation.

It should be easy. pppd has LOTS of options. Find where those
options are given to pppd, read pppd manpage carefully and
change options as needed.

persist
       Do  not  exit  after  a connection is terminated; instead try to
       reopen the connection. The maxfail option still has an effect on
       persistent connections.

Looks like you need to set maxfail to "unlimited" :)

> I would ask you the second question, I'm not so sure that you know the
> answer, but I'm so desperate for finding the solution,
> If I use DHT with torrents, and when router establish DHT connections (from
> 500-3000 connections),  after some times I cant access neither web or telnet
> or ssh connection to the router.

What is DHT?

> Its seems like the busybox closed all
> access points(only solution is resetting the router, sometimes its need deep
> even 20 second reset), Internet can still function, but with some lags, and
> after some times even internet access isn't so possible.

Dig along these lines:

"How much of router's memory is eaten by that many TCP connections?"
	(/proc/meminfo, /proc/slabinfo, top, etc...)
"How many open filehandles are there?" (use lsof)
"Is firewalling / conntrack is on?" (it eats more memory per TCP connection)
"Maybe this kernel version is leaky?" (google for it)

Pity nmeter is not integrated yet.. :)

--
vda