cron problem

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 25 19:57:12 UTC 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 3:53 pm, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Right now the best solution seems to be start crond with -c /etc/crontab
> as mentioned here before or maybe create a link to the dir:
>
>   /var/spool/cron/crontabs -> /etc/crontabs

The link to the directory was what I had in mind, yes.

> I have a system that automatically keep track of changes in /etc (to
> make backup of system configs) using sfic (http://sfic.sf.net). When a
> user changes the crontab (with crontab -e) there will be created a
> cron.update file in this dir. If the user does a backup of configs
> before cron reaches to delete it, it will be included in the backup,
> which is not what I want.

That's a separate problem.

> I don't want any temp files in /etc. I want to have them in /var
> or /tmp.
>
> And right now, support for multiple users to create cron jobs is bloat
> for me. An ucrond applet that only uses /etc/crontab would be perfect.

Alas, I don't use cron.  (And when I have to edit somebody else's crontab I
generally do so with vi, not whatever the cron tool for it is.)

Fixing that is waaaay down on the todo list for me, but I'll happily take
patches... :)