ifconfig

Mo, Vincent vincent.mo at EADS-NAdefense.com
Tue Aug 22 17:29:48 UTC 2006

Can someone explain if it's possible to change the IP address of an
interface when issuing ifconfig as a non root user?  I've tried SUID
root on busybox and it doesn't work.  And I've tried doing a su -c
'ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.2' and it doesn't work.  The 1st method returns
"SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied " and the 2nd method doesn't return any
errors, instead, a new shell is created and the ip address remains the
same.

Vincent Mo