Bash shell support?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 18 22:38:57 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 2:09 am, Riaz Rahaman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Busy box version 1.1.2 and in that there was no support
> for bash shell, but in version 1.2.1 when I do a make menuconfig I find in
> the shells there is something called bourne shell options, but in setting of
> default shell I dont find Bash?
>
> Is there a plan to include Bash shell in the future releases?

Do an "ls -l /bin/bash", it's 645140 bytes on Ubuntu and that's dynamically
inked.  We're not adding bash itself to BusyBox because Bash is outright
enormous.

I'm working on a new shell (bbsh), but although my eventual goal is
reimplementing the interesting bits of bash syntax, my first goal is to
replace the four existing shells, starting with lash.  (I was working on that
yesterday, in fact.  I'd probably have something to check in this weekend
except that two other totally unrelated projects reared up and grabbed my
time...)