Init hanging.... again.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 15 21:40:38 UTC 2006

On Sunday 13 August 2006 9:13 pm, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 August 2006 9:01 pm, yan wrote:
> >
> > init is PID 1, which means it needs the environment variable to come from
> > kernel.  If you add "CONSOLE=/dev/blah" to your kernel command line it'll
> > it as an environment variable (which is what it does with any argument
> > device driver doesn't claim.)
>
> AH!  I didn't know that.  OK, that helps a lot.

This is an example of how building a system with BusyBox requires a lot of
general kernel knowledge.  This isn't really a BusyBox question, yet... :)

> >> I'll
> >> look into that tomorrow.  In any case, it is not intuitive or obvious
> >> that not setting CONSOLE in root's .profile would make init lock up.
> >>

> > Root's .profile won't help here because that's parsed by the shell, and
> > init runs before the shell.
> >
> > I need to fluff up the documentation a bit...
> >

> I've always wondered if the dialog config interface could contain a Doc
> section that brings up the README, INSTALL, FAQ, CHANGELOG, etc.  It may
> help a lot for people like me...  It would be a really good reference
> while in the config menu system - and would encourage more use of those
> files.....  (This isn't specific to busybox; my own highly specialized
> build system will have this as soon as I can put it in.... :-) )

I'm trying to make it so the "Documentation" tab on the left edge of the
BusyBox web page has is a good starting point.

Rob

P.S.  I was offline yesterday to move to a new apartment, which involved 12
hours or so of lifting boxes up and down stairs, rather a lot of cleaning,
reassuring 4 increasingly frantic cats...  Today I apparently have Rigor
Mortis, and am probably going to sleep a lot when I get home.  Still trying
to catch up with everything, but today was pretty much pure falling further
behind.  Just FYI.