mdev help

Chey chey.smith at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:30:06 UTC 2006

During the boot process I use mdev to populate /dev which is a ramfs.
Everything seems to work fine with the exception of /dev/tty which
seems to be in invalid device file. I determine it to be an invalid
device file like so:

@foobar:/# stty -F /dev/tty
stty: /dev/tty: No such device or address

Is this a bug or does this have something to do with my kernel?

@foobar:/# uname -a
Linux foobar 2.6.17.8 #1 Mon Aug 14 14:22:27 EDT 2006 i686 unknown

This invalid device file also causes the following error when I login
(using askfirst: in inittab):

/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off

Any thoughs would help,
Chey