Init hanging.... again.

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Aug 14 01:13:26 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 9:01 pm, yan wrote:
>
> init is PID 1, which means it needs the environment variable to come from the
> kernel.  If you add "CONSOLE=/dev/blah" to your kernel command line it'll set
> it as an environment variable (which is what it does with any argument that a
> device driver doesn't claim.)

AH!  I didn't know that.  OK, that helps a lot.
>> I'll
>> look into that tomorrow.  In any case, it is not intuitive or obvious
>> that not setting CONSOLE in root's .profile would make init lock up.
>>

> Root's .profile won't help here because that's parsed by the shell, and init
> runs before the shell.
>
> I need to fluff up the documentation a bit...

I've always wondered if the dialog config interface could contain a Doc
section that brings up the README, INSTALL, FAQ, CHANGELOG, etc.  It may
help a lot for people like me...  It would be a really good reference
while in the config menu system - and would encourage more use of those
files.....  (This isn't specific to busybox; my own highly specialized
build system will have this as soon as I can put it in.... :-) )

--Yan

--Yan