busybox for linux 2.6??

HarYash Bahadur haryash at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 12:57:24 UTC 2006

Hi Ben..

I guess you can guide me to success... look for my answers below..!!

On 8/11/06, Ben Dooks <ben at fluff.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:40:54PM +0530, HarYash Bahadur wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to bring up linux 2.6.11.1 kernel on an ARM9 based board.
> > I am using busybox1.1.0 as part of my rootfs.
>
> Any particular ARM9?

ARM920T

> > I have been able to boot the kernel, mount the rootfs and run the user
> > process "sbin/init".  Now, here I get into problems.
> >
> > After the fucntion call "run-actions(SYS_INIT)" is made, it doesn't
> > return and the kernel goes into cpu-idle fucntion. I also observe that
> > before sliding into "idleness" this process tries to open lots of tty
> > devices.
>
> Is your console configured properly?

yes, I am getting ample printks from kernel and the fucntion "message"
also works properly from init_main in file init.c....

> I have been using busybox with ARM9 systems and Linux 2.6 since about
> 2.6.9, so there should be nothing generically wrong.
>
> Maybe if you posted your configuration files we can check them
> for compiler options, etc.

yes, i will, but before that I will give some basic info about my activty--

1. I have built 2.6.11 kernel for my board, basically we have to
upgrade from linux2.4.25 to a 2.6.x kernel...

2. I am using the rootfs/busybox(v1.1.0) and the arm-linux-uclibc
toolchain (gcc3.3.2) which was earlier built for linux2.4.25, for
building my 2.6.11 image and it builds fine..

3. I learnt an hour ago (seems quite late!) that there is some
dependency on "kernel headers" when we are building toolchain as well
as busybox...  so I set my LINUX_ROOT = "path for 2.6 kernel" and
tried to build the busybox and the toolchain...

The busybox builds but I get the following error for toolchain-- any ideas?
Manuel's hidden warnings (UCLIBC_MJN3_ONLY) [N/y/?] n
+ ./extra/scripts/fix_includes.sh -k
/home/bahaduh1/linux-2.6.11.1.practice1 -t arm -n
Unable to determine version for kernel headers
     provided in directory /home/bahaduh1/linux-2.6.11.1.practice1
make[1]: *** [headers] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/bahaduh1/mpeg/toolchain/gcc-3.3.x/toolchain_build_arm/uClibc'
make: *** [/home/bahaduh1/mpeg/toolchain/gcc-3.3.x/toolchain_build_arm/uClibc/.configured]
Error 2
--[apex5c\gen\LINUX]--

BIG QUESTION-- Why should the busybox or cross-toolchain need kernel headers??
small Question-- why am I getting thsi error?

har yash