help

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Thu Aug 10 19:58:42 UTC 2006

Ehsan Emad wrote:

> my problem is whe  i insert "route add.." it works but when I reboot the
> modem the route add is disapear
> it means that it doesnt save on startup

This is prefectly normal, if you had a PC with linux on it and you ran
the "route add" command and then rebooted, it too would forget.  What I
am trying to say is that this not caused by busybox, the "route add"
command is not supposed to be permanent on its own.

If you want to fix your problem, you will have to study how your modem
boots up --- that means figuring out what is the first program (usually
/sbin/init) and then looking at its configuration file (/etc/inittab).
and following down to see where networking is initialized.  Then, once
you figure out which script or config file is responsible for setting up
networking, you can modify it to add your "route add" command there, so
that it will be executed each time you boot up.

Keep in mind, the scripts might be in ROM and therefore not modifyable.
  Or they may be in flash, in which case you may have to first "unlock"
the flash.  This is very hardware specific so unfortunately we cannot
tell you how to do it... google is your friend though, somebody likely
has done it already!

However, I suspect there is an easier way to do the "route add".  Surely
the people who designed the modem already provide a way to manage the
routing table.  Have you checked the manual, web site, manufacturer's
site, etc?

-R