automating busybox installation

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Thu Aug 10 19:46:21 UTC 2006

yan wrote:
> Is there some neat way to automate changing ownership of busybox to root
> and then setting +s?  I build and install busybox as an ordinary user,
> but then I have to su or sudo to change the ownership.  I really need to
> automate the process as much as possible so non-technical people can
> build the rootfs.

There is a tool called "fakeroot" that helps with this sort of thing.
It works by intercepting glibc calls and remembering the actions.  It is
used by buildroot project, you might want to check it out there.  It
will allow you to compile busybox and create a target filesystem, all
without becoming root.

-R