TOPPERS WITH BUSYBOX

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Aug 3 17:02:24 UTC 2006

On Thursday 03 August 2006 2:31 am, Sanjib Chatterjee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to continue the queries of Mr Animesh.
> Our system is Running with Debian Ubuntu i386.
> you can get TOPPERS JSP kernel from http://toppers.jp

I have many, many things to do today.

You might want to talk to (david.mandala at timesys.com) to see if TimeSys wants
to devote an engineer (such as myself) to this, but I already have a huge
to-do list for the 1.3.0 release of BusyBox and this falls outside the scope
of volunteer work.  I'll answer questions, but I haven't got time to set
up/learn a new development enviornment and port the thing for you.

> we want to give shell to toppers for both in the board of H8(3069f) and
> LcardA(mips/Vr4181A)
> The necessary toolchain components for vr4181A is "mipsel-nec-elf"
> (binutils/gcc/newlibc)
> The necessary toolchain for H8 is(binutils/gcc/newlib).

Shaun Jackman's got busybox on newlib at least somewhat working already, he's
the guy to ask.  (He might even have time to work directly on it, but that's
up to him.)

> We gave make allnoconfig and got the corresponding messege .There is no
> default applets.

Did you get an error trying to build it, or is that the message you got when
you tried to run it?

If the "allnoconfig" busybox built, and if when you ran it you got a message
that looked something like:

  BusyBox v1.2.0 (2006.08.03-16:30+0000) multi-call binary

  Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
     or: [function] [arguments]...

          BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
          utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
          link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
          will act like whatever it was invoked as!

  Currently defined functions:
          busybox

Then you're good.  The next step is to add some applets (one or two at a
time), and try to run them under your new environment.

Each applet is going to have to be debugged individually.  Most should just
work out of the box, but many will not.  First find out which applets work,
and then figure out which of the remaining ones are important to you.

Another thing you can do to identify files with linux dependencies is to grep
for lines of the form "#include <linux/.*>", and "/proc/".  Both of those are
Linux-specific.

We have a "platform.h" file that tries to isolate some of the
platform-specific changes necessary to get this stuff to work on things like
Digital's Tru64 for the Alpha processor.  You might want to look at that...

> We are very interesting to know that is it be feasible to continue to add
> buisybox with TOPPERS ?

It should be feasible, yes.