Init hanging.... again.

yan yan at seiner.com
Thu Aug 3 01:01:10 UTC 2006

yan wrote:
> Can anyone shed some light on this?

I spent the last few hours shining some light into the dark corners of
init.c....

On my system, a cirrus-based ARM board, init_console() mis-identifies
the console as /dev/tts/1, rather than /dev/ttyAM1.

Then, when it goes to open it, open("/dev/tts/1",... | O_NONBLOCK)
blocks.... and the system hangs.  I don't know why it blocks; it
shouldn't but it does.

Since busybox is built to use on sometimes weird embedded systems, I
suggest that an initial console option be added to the config menu....
This might save a lot of trouble....

 From looking at the code, it seems that you can set an environmental
variable for CONSOLE, but at least on my system that didn't work; I'll
look into that tomorrow.  In any case, it is not intuitive or obvious
that not setting CONSOLE in root's .profile would make init lock up.

(I'm not annoyed with anyone working on busybox; I am just really,
really tired and a bit cranky from fighting too many simple things so if
I sound annoyed I apologize.)

--Yan