stty echo in ash

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Wed Aug 2 16:26:14 UTC 2006

dalias wrote:
 > On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 11:28:22AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
 > > On Wednesday 02 August 2006 8:57 am, Paul Fox wrote:
 >
 > > > why is this odd?  isn't that what expect is for?
 > >
 > > Pretty much, yeah.
 >
 > Well, I would maybe use it for controlling a modem dial procedure or
 > old-style isp login or such, but I can't imagine using expect to
 > interact with a real shell. Not that it can't be done, but wouldn't
 > running a script make more sense?

depends on what's on the other end.  if you're trying to do
testing or configuration on a whole series of devices, you might
want your script to be local to your development host, and not on
every one of the devices.  some devices don't even have a
non-volatile place to store an add-on script (i.e., no flash
filesystem.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com