TOPPERS with busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Aug 2 15:39:28 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 8:34 am, animesh das wrote:
> hi,
> we are working with TOPPERS/JSP kernel. We want to use the utility of
> busybox with TOPPERS kernel. can you please give me some hints for hooking
> busybox from TOPPERS/JSP kernel.

Let's see according to google, toppers is a tote bag company, they deliver
pizza, they're a spa, a car club...  The first three hits for "TOPPERS JSP"
are all in japanese...

Right:
http://csdl2.computer.org/comp/proceedings/isorc/2003/1928/00/19280044.pdf

"This problem of excessive diversity makes the reuse of software components
and development tools to other ITRON-specification kernels difficult."  This
is why Linux is so cool, I think...

Is this a POSIX environment?  What C library are you using?  Do you have an
MMU?  What subset of the utilities are you trying to get to run?  Are you
using the standard Linux toolchain (gcc/binutils/make) or something else?

What I'd do first off is build a "make allnoconfig" busybox (which does
nothing except print a message when you run busybox) and make sure you can
build and run that.  This is mostly going to be debugging the makefiles for
your environment, which are unfortunately hideously overcomplicated and which
I'd like to take a weed-whacker to someday, but I haven't got time.

Once you've gotten the busybox equivalent of "hello world" to build, then
switch on applets one at a time and try to figure out which ones currently
work for you without modification.  (Start with things like "echo".)

You might want to talk to Shaun Jackman <sjackman at gmail.com> who has managed
to get a subset of BusyBox working on a combination of newlib/libgloss.
That's about as far away from Linux as it's gotten so far.

Mostly though, this thing is designed for Linux, and that's where most of the
testing is done.