/etc/inittab : not specifying baud rate and tty device

Stuart Hughes stuarth at freescale.com
Wed Aug 2 12:56:56 UTC 2006

Like most people I'm booting linux on my embedded boards connected to a
serial port and using busybox's init.

One thing that is always a bit annoying is having to know the tty device
and baud rate of the serial port, especially given that it's already
setup by the kernel.  So in the past I've had a variety of entries
in /etc/inittab for different boards, for example:

::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 vt100
::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 115200 vt100
::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyCPM0 38400 vt100

The first thing that is not constant is the serial tty device.  To make
this generic I tried 'console' instead, which seems to work.  Does this
sound like a reasonable thing to do?

Secondly, I'd like to be able not to specify the baud rate, is there a
way of telling getty to 'just leave it as it is'?

Any hints appreciated,

Regards, Stuart