stty echo in ash

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 2 04:13:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 12:53:24PM -0700, David Byron wrote:
> > Sounds like your shell is undoing what stty does.  Which
> > shell are you using?
>
> ash.  The key seems to be that I have it configured with
>
> CONFIG_FEATURE_COMMAND_EDITING=y
>
> When I turn that off, stty -echo does what I expect -- the characters I type
> don't get echoed.
>
> What do you think of this patch?  With it, ash doesn't echo characters after
> stty -echo, even when compiled with command editing.

This is bad. stty settings for apps run _from_ the shell should be
independent of the settings used for interactive command line.
Otherwise when an app exits/crashes with the terminal in a weird state
it's difficult to recover. IMO what you want is an option for
disabling the interactive command line entirely..

Also, is there a reason you're using expect to control the remote
machine? That's a pretty odd setup to begin with..

Rich