stty echo in ash

David Byron dbyron at hheld.com
Tue Aug 1 19:53:24 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006, Rob Landley wrote:

> What are you talking to at the far end?

I've got a desktop linux machine (2.4.31) with its /dev/ttyS0 connected to
the /dev/ttyS0 of my busybox target.  For testing this stuff I've been using
minicom.  In my scripts I use cu.

> Yeah, you have to kill it from another console.  Netcat
> doesn't parse escape sequences.

This is a kind of a drag.  The reason I'm using a serial port in the first
place is that some of my targets don't have ethernet, and they only have one
serial port.  I think that leaves me with only one console.

> Sounds like your shell is undoing what stty does.  Which
> shell are you using?

ash.  The key seems to be that I have it configured with

CONFIG_FEATURE_COMMAND_EDITING=y

When I turn that off, stty -echo does what I expect -- the characters I type
don't get echoed.

What do you think of this patch?  With it, ash doesn't echo characters after
stty -echo, even when compiled with command editing.

-DB