Help needed with mount

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 1 14:48:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 9:31 pm, Sean Richards wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks again for taking the time, much appreciated. Followed your setup
> and am able to reboot and shutdown without any errors. This helped me
> track down the cause of the problem in my setup. The cause seems to be
> thttpd. If I am running thttpd when I reboot umount gives the errors
> mentioned earlier - 'unmount: Couldn't umount /:No such file or
> directory'. If I kill the thttpd process before reboot or shutdown then
> no errors are reported. Any ideas why running thttpd would cause these
> umount errors?

Did you kill the thttpd process before trying to umount the filesystem?

The "no such file or directory" error message is obviously wrong.  (Probably
garbage left in errno from something else; the downside of using a shared
global for error reporting.)  What it's probably saying is "Couldn't
umount /, somebody is using it."  I'd guess that thttpd still has an open
file in there.

You could try feeding the "force" or "lazy" flags to umount (I think I
implemented both of those), but that won't necessarily help.  You could also
try remounting / read only before trying to umount it.  Or (and this is
probably the correct answer), kill thttpd before umounting.