Why my SHELL(ash) does not work on 386SX ,mayday...mayday...!

罗智 luozhi at sict.ac.cn
Sat Apr 29 08:27:35 UTC 2006

My system is made with linux kernel 2.4.20 + busybox1.1.0 + RootFileSystem which is manually
created. it's ok on several PC .
When I move this system to my embedded computer (CPU:ALI 6117,includes 386SX ) , problems
occurred.
The kernel works ok on the embedded system , I think ,during the booting .the /etc/init.d/rcS is
ok ,too. the embedded system stop when shell should get out and show shell prompt.

I have tried three /etc/inittab :
1:tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
   Embedded system show "login:",but when I insert username and press enter ,"login:" come out
again. no shell prompt show out.
2:tty1::askfirst:/bin/sh
   Everything is ok when booting , system go into " Please press Enter to activate this console".
but this statement show again when I press enter. system still can't go into shell.
3:tty1::respawn:/bin/sh
   the phenomena is nothing . booting is ok , but nothing show out at last . system idles there,
Can not go into shell!

In a word , shell can't work correctly, I hope experts can give me some advice.

thank you very much

luozhi2006-04-29
Email:luozhi at sict.ac.cn16:25:22