[ifupdown] dhcp clients and zcip (zeroconf)

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 18:03:33 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Paul Fox <pgf at brightstareng.com> wrote:

> we
> both
> dhcp
> that
>
> what's used as the source address for outbound traffic?  i'd guess the
> dhcp
> address if it exists, else the eth0:1 address?  clearly you'd want to use
> the routable dhcp address as often as possible.

The route table takes care of all of that.  As soon as you have a DHCP
address, and are able to talk to things on the DHCP subnet, you will thus
use that interface and the source will be the routable, DHCP address.

> Correct.  They are technically the same interface, but having the aliased
> > makes everything play well together.  In all actuality, having both on
> the
> > same interfaces didn't cause any problems for me except with the Samba
> > server on our device.  This seemed like a nice way to segment things
> though.
>
> what was the samba problem?

I wanted to be able to start the daemon right away when the device started,
and I didn't want to have to hardcode any interface lines into the config
file, since our IP settings can be very dynamic.  Samba would only advertise
its shares (and possibly only listen, I can't remember) on the first address
on an interface.  Thus, it only advertised shares on the Zcip address, and
none of the local subnet devices thought any shares were available.

I'm sure there is probably some buried config option, or I could have made a
patch, but all of this led me to come up with the aliased solution, which I
liked better anyway.

paul