dpkg problems

Glenn L. McGrath bug1 at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 25 20:38:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
Tim Bots <tim_bots at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So I removed all the unrequired files. Afther this I
> did create the /var/lib/dpkg/info/ dir but I didn't
> create any other files.
>
> (see attached file for the full log (cleaned from
> color code's))
>
> I also tryed to add the dir to the path but at no
> effect. (or I gave the wrong command)

So this is what you have

$ ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        11723 Jan  1 00:39 libc6.preinst
$ whoami
root
$ libc6.preinst
-sh: libc6.preinst: not found

If current working directory in your path, if not you should have
run ./libc6.preinst to test it.

What shell are you using, if you look at the first line of
libc6.preinst you will see it says
#!/bin/bash
So you need to be have the bash available for this script to run.

I cant quite remember of the top of my head, but i suspect this libc6
preinst is doing the wrong thing by debian policy. A quick grep of my
debian chroot see's /bin/bash is only used in libc6. Not sure what the
story is with that. I will do some digging.

If this is indeed the problem, considering
 1) installing bash, or
 2) modify the script to use /bin/sh, or
 3) try and fake bash by linking another shell to it (not sure if it
will work)

Glenn