Busybox 1.01 insmod on Linux 2.6.8

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Tue Apr 25 14:59:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Andrew McKay wrote:

> > Still trying to understand the code in kernel/module.c at the moment.
> > I'm hoping once I get my way through that I will have a better
> > understanding of what is going wrong.  I guess there is the possibilty
> > that this is purley a Kernel issue, and Busybox is doing it's job fine.
>
> Final update on this problem.  I have gotten things working, and it was a Kernel
> issue as I was starting to suspect.  Seems that the MODVERSIONS option for
> supporting multiple old versions of modules was messing things up.  I have
> disabled this, recompiled the Kernel and Module and everything is working fine.

That option does not allow you to use 2 modules w/ different versions, it
only "binds" the compiled modules to the kernel (so you do not
accidentally load modules compiled for another kernel). If you have
modules w/ the same functionality, use different names, so the modules.dep
file is created correctly (especially if 2 modules w/ the same name have
different dependencies)

Peter