an alternative suggestion for "tar" and user/group names

Glenn L. McGrath bug1 at ihug.co.nz
Fri Apr 21 21:31:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:20:13 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> Any option beginning with -- is _necessarily_ a GNU extension.

+1 Insightfull

I just assumed --option-name was accepted by SuS, but from SuSv3
 12. Utility Conventions
 12.2 Utility Syntax Guidelines
Guideline 10:
    The argument -- should be accepted as a delimiter indicating the
end of options. Any following arguments should be treated as operands,
even if they begin with the '-' character. The -- argument should not
be used as an option or as an operand.

It also says at above the rules, "Some of the standard utilities do not
conform to all of these guideliness; in those cases, the OPTIONS
sections describe the deviations.", so i guess we can emphasise that
its a guidline.

Glenn