cat -v?

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 02:28:22 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 11:08 am, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> > I dont know about you guys but i just added a small vis program and
> > modified the makefiles and scripts that required it and it solved my
> > problem.
> >
> > This is more than cat -v actually.
>
> Is this the preferred solution?

Its just a contingency for me because some packages fails to build without it.

But then i thought cat -v is not supported because its not a good
thing. i thought the cat applet author agreed with Rob Pike and that
led me to the conclusion that i should also do so.

> I don't like extending cat but there is a standard user interface for it...
>
> > I hacked up an fts command with expression support and removed the
> > recursion support from the rest of the commands. The unix newbies in
> > the office love it.
>
> I have no idea what that means, care to give an example?

its basically: fts <expressions> <command args>

so i can type:

"fts" and i get a list of everything starting from the current directory.
"fts type=reg mtime>yesterday cat | less" then i can view all files
created since yesterday.

its similar to the at&t ast tw command but it uses a different syntax
for expressions and uses the code from one ofmy assignments from my
compiler class. now i dont have to remember which commands have the -R
or -r or whatever option for walking down directory trees. when i
think  walking directory tree i only have think of fts. I like to have
exactly one command to do one thing soi can print a little cheat sheet
and tape it to my monitor and let my muscle memory push me along.

This is totally non standard stuff.

--
www.smsglobal.net SMS Global Ltd Short Message Service For Seafarers