nc "gaping security hole" menu config entry??

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Wed Apr 19 14:58:59 UTC 2006

 > > > ok, this is one of those cases where i *don't* feel at all bound
 > > > by historical precedent.
 > >
 > > if you ever read through the netcat source, the option name makes
 > > sense ... personally i'd just keep it as is ;)
 >
 > sorry.  i don't feel the need to actually RTFS to suggest that this is
 > a thoroughly useless option name and should be changed.

i have no problem with retaining the traditional name for this
option -- anyone who's ever looked at netcat closely or built it
themselves knows where the name comes from -- but at least the
busybox config help should be expanded to explain why adding
support for "executing a program after making or receiving a
successful connection" is perhaps a bad idea, and why it is,
indeed, a gaping security hole, especially since it sounds useful
on face value.  (and if we truly think it's a bad idea, i'd also
suggest that having "make defconfig" turn this feature on is also
a bad idea.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com