cat -v?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Apr 18 22:18:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 5:03 am, Rob Sullivan wrote:
> >Can you give examples of cases where the behavior is incorrect?
> >Lacking _explicit_ locale support doesn't mean that an application
> >does not support what it needs to.
> >Rich
>
> Surely that applies to cat as well then - it supports what it needs to
> (see Ole-Egil's example) without explicit locale support. Still, I see
> your point; there are quite a few busybox applets that manage just
> fine with other locales despite no explicit support.

Mostly we just want to be 8 bit clean and avoid assumptions that break stuff.

> According to the todo list
> (http://www.busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/busybox/TODO?rev=14798&vi
>ew=auto), it would be good to implement UTF-8 in everything, rather than
> just cat.

Keep in mind that 90% of implementing UTF-8 support is just not screwing it
up.  It's a sane encoding, and only a very small number of things should
actually _care_. :)

> Maybe there's a case for adding -ETv now and then having a big
> UTF-8 audit some time in the future.

It seems like cat -etv is, in fact, useful.  There's nothing else that does
what it does, and this is the standard user interface for that functionality.