bugs in regex_process() in less applet

Vladimir N. Oleynik dzo at simtreas.ru
Tue Apr 18 08:56:17 UTC 2006

>>Ahh, worked out why - the fgets is getting input from stdin, which has
>>already been exhausted if you're piping from another command. It should be
>>getting input from 'inp' like all the other functions do...
>>Oh, now I understand - vodz 'patched' it a while ago.

Yes. I eliminated concrete problems in this applet.
And certainly checked result on those tests which could think up quickly.
Unless there is other way?
Only to two applets in the project remain the most problematic on
quality of a code: less and sed (hi, Rob).

> I tried to talk to him about it, but not only did he spam block my email for
> years,

Nobody in the right to demand from me to accept mail from such disgusting
reverse address: dsl092-053-140.phl1.dsl.speakeasy.net.
I many times offered all as as to developers to send from the good address of
the project: @busybox.net

> but in all the years he's done busybox development he's never learned
> even a tiny bit of english: he uses a translation program that guarantees he
> never gets any better at communicating, and on top of that if you go into a
> long explanation he just skips it and doesn't even bother to translate it.

I with the same success pass long texts in Russian. Express the idea more
shortly. To me nobody pays for search of a small idea, hided in huge
a heap of zilion byte (if is not a artistic book).

> -rw-r--r--  1 landley landley 401227 2006-04-06 18:49 ./e2fsprogs/e2fsck.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 landley landley 287439 2006-03-22 10:08 ./shell/ash.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 landley landley 158233 2006-04-17 12:17 ./util-linux/fdisk.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 landley landley 116040 2006-04-05 14:05 ./editors/vi.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 landley landley 104867 2006-04-13 19:03 ./modutils/insmod.c

O ya ya...
And? ash have not a alternative in busybox?

$ size vi.o insmod.o fdisk.o
21163       4    1088   22255    56ef vi.o
15850      28      44   15922    3e32 insmod.o
  7886      28    1308    9222    2406 fdisk.o

If you do not like quantity of byte in the text of fdisk.c,
there are no problems, reduce /* comments */ and you receive
the same confused program as well as "insmod.c".

 > The only one that isn't a "port" is httpd, which he inherited from

Its lie!

 > They're all _way_ bigger than they need to be.  (My motivation
 > for doing bbsh is not just to unify the four shells, but to get rid of ash.c.
 > It's 13,678 lines of unintelligible crap.

Rob, you are idiot!
If you though time looked at logs of the project, you at learn,
that ash is not my original a port, ash port do make and inserted by Erik!

> And yes, he'd regularly undo what little optimization/cleanups we'd managed to
> do to his crap by re-syncing his "ports" with the external distro.
> http://busybox.net/downloads/patches/svn-11732.patch for example.  I lost
> _all_ respect for his technical judgement, some time ago.

Why you hold back, what I 3 times offered you alternative realization
of the inetd applet - very very small?

> He's trying very hard to pretend to be a martyr,
> though.  I feel absolutely no guilt about this.

O yes. Unless happens, that bad people regretted for something.

--w
vodz